Friday, June 26, 2009

About Michael Jackson


Yesterday I went to sleep knowing that Michael Jackson had just passed away. It's surreal for me to see someone so talented (as he was) passing, even more when you're only 50. I grew up listening to his songs and, even tho I disconnected from him a long time a go, his songs are and will always be a part of my life.

I think that, in musical terms, he was a true genius: amazing sense of melody, great voice, unique style (like it or not), great lyrics and outstanding sense of rhythm. His recordings from the 70's to anything he did in 80's are amazing. I also love a lot of what he did in the 90's, he was still on top of his game. And even his humanitarian work, even if presented in the most tacky way possible, seemed to come from the right place.
He defined what it means to be a megastar and you can hardly turn on Mtv nowadays without seeing younger artists redoing what he did (Chris Brown, Usher, Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, to name a few). I think history will bring some truth to all the controversy about his personal life. For me, everything that he has been accused of has never been proved in court, while his talent is more than proved and well documented. That's the Michael Jackson we can all relate to and his music will live forever. I am pretty sure that, 20 years from now, everyone will still be dancing everytime they play "Don't Stop Till You Get Enough" at a party.

No comments: