Sunday, August 09, 2009

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz


The Yeah Yeah Yeahs are back with a new record called It's Blitz. I didn't quite get into the single (Heads Will Roll) but after a second listen it's quickly grown on me. It is, quite simply, mind-blowing. History tells me if I don't like something at first but it leaves me yearning for more it's because I will love it and be obsessed with it for a while. And so it happened. The drum machine, the synths, the guitars, Karen O's voice in a state of emergency... it all works! One of the best tracks I've heard so far this year. And for the rest of the album, I keep the same feeling. It's simply a great collection of songs, that go from rock for the dancefloors to more intimate compostions like Hysteric or Little Shadow that are no way inferior to their flag song Maps. At 41 minutes of length, this is one of this year's most adventurous rock records. Below, the performances of Head Will Roll and Zero on BBC's Later With Jools Holland.

No comments: