Saturday, October 11, 2008

Iconic Images # 4

Dazed Jones





Grace Jones "graces" the cover of the November issue of Dazed and Confused. I love her. Always did. I was probably 8 when my father had her "Slave To The Rhythm" video recorded on a Kodak video cassette and I got those images stuck in my head. Anyway, here she is again, with a brand new album after 20 years from her latest musical release. The portfolio is done by Chris Cunningham and is titled, 'The Devil Inside'. Jones explains her understanding of the shoot, "It's not fashion, it's an anti-fashion shoot. He's shooting me like art." Dazed and Confused's Creative Director (Nicola Formichetti) goes further in explaining: "It's a collaboration between two of the most progressive and innovative artists of our time, again pushing the boundaries of perception." Bless the guys at Dazed for such a brave choice.

I really can't wait for the record, the tracks I've heard so far are amazing! She did lost a bit of her essence in the mid-80's (let's blame it on her cocaine addiction) but these tracks seem to show her back in shape again, all dark, mysterious and poetic at the same time. "Hurricane" will be available November 3rd (in Europe at least) and features tracks produced by Ivor Guest, Brian Eno and Sly & Robbie. Tracklist is:

1. This Is
2. Williams' Blood
3. Corporate Cannibal
4. I'm Crying (Mother's Tears)
5. Well Well Well
6. Hurricane
7. Love You To Life
8. Sunset Sunrise
9. Devil In My Life

No comments: